Habitat for Humanity St Tammany West is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing organization. Habitat for Humanity St. Tammany West works in partnership with local people in need to build and renovate decent, affordable housing. The houses are then sold to qualifying families at with no interest charged, allowing many to enjoy the pride and dignity of homeownership. The dedication of everyone involved, from homeowner, to staff, to volunteers, makes it all happen.
Since Habitat STW was founded in 1981 as the tenth Habitat affiliate in the U.S. and the first in Louisiana, 266 new homes have been completed with local families.
Habitat offers and hand up, not a hand out to our homebuyers.
- Pay monthly mortgage payments
- Put in 200-300 hours of “sweat equity” construction hours
- Attend homeowner education classes. By learning the tools for success, homeowners develop a sense of pride and empowerment.
In addition to building stronger families, we contribute to a stronger community.
- Working families are able to live closer to where they are employed
- Building materials are purchased through local vendors for construction
- Both out of state and local volunteers work side by side with volunteers and homebuyers to reduce cost of construction and create strong community ties
- Homeowner participation in construction increases neighborhood stability and civic pride
- Homeowners pay Parish property taxes
- Construction funding comes from grants, individuals, companies, churches, special events, mortgage payments and the Habitat ReStore.
Click Here to visit their website